Monday, January 25, 2010

Spectaluar Failures

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. - William James


Training Update
I have followed the January Base training plan, running 4 times for 10.27 miles total in week 1. My pace for these miles averaged 10:59 which is slow but 3 of the 4 workouts were on the treadmill and my goal for the January base training block is distance, not duration. In week 2 the training distance increases to 2.75 per session, but a sore throat put the training on hold. I took 3 days off and still managed to get 2 runs in for a total of 5.91 miles at a pace of 10:24. The longer miles were not as hard thanks to the build up in mileage. Week 3 will be difficult, thanks to a new addition to my family. My training time will be limited but I hope to get in at least two 3 mile runs. I am however on schedule and nearly prepared for the Jag 5k on the 30th.


Dean Karnazes is a mega-endurance athlete and bestselling author, who blogs about ultra running, life, and the human spirit. I have been reading his blog for a while and I felt I should steal share some of his ideas.


 From what I have observed, those that are successful (“success” being defined as living up to one’s full potential) is that they have a few underlying principles in common.

Focus - My grandmother once told me, “You can have anything you want, you just can’t have everything you want.” To me, this speaks to focus and perseverance. Set goals and stay the course. Will it be easy? Hell no! Undoubtedly there will be hurdles to overcome and obstructions to conquer. Highly accomplished people remain focused on getting the job done despite the blockades. “Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our eyes off our goal,” Henry Ford once said. Keep your eyes on your goals and never, ever give up.

Fail Spectacularly - The grander the challenge the higher the potential for catastrophe. The history books are filled with stories of successful people risking everything. Sometimes the outcome is a celebrated success, other times it’s not so pretty. The main lesson here is to have the courage to try. Failure can lead to incredible discovery. Embrace failure as an opportunity to learn and grow. Shake it off, pick up the pieces, and move on. As my pops often reminds me, “It’s not how many times you fall down that matters, it’s how many times you get back up.”

Never Stop Exploring - Show me a man who is content and I will show you an underachiever. Be restless. Search, endeavor, wander. Push your limits and step beyond your comfort zone. The familiar breeds contentment and complacency. True growth only occurs when you journey into unchartered territory and tackle the unknown. As Tennessee Williams once said, "Make voyages. Attempt them. There’s nothing else.”

If this makes you want to lace 'em up and take off then, check out more of Dean's Blog.

Finally I wanted to mention DailyMile.com. DailyMile is a website that can be utilized to record training data. I have used Mapmyrun.com, but I have found DailyMile easier to use without the annoying ads. It syncs with Nike+ and so far is pretty intuitive. Check me out on DailyMile

4 comments:

web search said...

Thank you for your wonderful efforts

4mp4.net said...

Thank you for your wonderful efforts

websites directory said...

Thank you very much

Association of University Lecturers and Researchers - Iraq said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article