Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Non-Envelope Pushing Athlete


With the official start of my first training block of 2010 I thought I would share what I am using to record, measure, and motivate my workouts.
One of my 2010 Goals was to monitor calorie intake. I have been using LiveStrong.com’s application, The Daily Plate to help me monitor my calories. It is a great tool and even has an I-phone app. Using guidelines according to my weight, I am maintaining a 2,200 calorie diet with bonus for calories burned during exercise. Using these guidelines should result in the loss of 1 pound per week. While the target weight loss is not significant, the 2,200 calorie goal will not require much "diet" just monitoring. Less calorie more weight loss. My starting weight on January 1st was 211 and so far I have seen good results. If you are starting a fitness program or are looking for related information check out LiveStrong.com.
Another goal for 2010 was to train focused, specific, and scheduled. MapMyRun.com has been very useful in maintaining my goal. I am logging miles, times, weight, hours slept, even the mileage on my new Nike LiveStrong Air Max Moto 7+. I set goals on the site, and then challenge friends. This is a great motivator for me and makes me feel good when I have a positive influence. Take my challenge, or try Mapmyrun.com.
So check me out on LiveStrong.com, or Mapmyrun.com, or if all else fails, catch up with me on Twitter.


Quick note about my first training session.

Week 1 of my January 5k program started Monday and the cold temperatures (sub 40 degrees) have forced me inside. My first training run was on the treadmill at a fairly easy pace.



Equipment Check



I received a pair of Zensah Calf/Shin sleeves from Santa this year. The sleeves are made (according to their web site) with gradient compression which provides wide ribbing in the front for shin support and tight ribbing in the back for calf support. And according to their web site, the more oxygen the muscles receive the faster they recover, allowing athletes to push the envelope in their training.


Now we all know, I’m known for pushing the envelope


And pushing...



But seriously, I have been bothered by shin/lower leg pain since I started running. See previous blogs. The compression sleeves have reduced the pain post workout and aided in recovery. I typically wear them after a workout or whenever I am feeling particularly sore. I would highly recommend them especially if you are having similar issues with pain, soreness, or slow recovery. Check out http://www.zensah.com/ for more info.


I received a sample of AdvoCare Spark Energy Drink. It is marketed as a Vitamin & Amino Acid Supplement that enhances mental energy and focus, and helps reduce free radicals.


Yeah I looked it up



The Mandarin Orange flavor tasted good, not too sweet, and not watered down. While I didn’t have an instant measurable increase in energy (Spark), I did have a good workout which could be attributed to Spark or maybe any other non-measured variable. To give it a true test I would need to try it more than once and take a more scientific approach.

WARNING…shameless self promotion and corporate pandering


Maybe I can get a sponsorship (Wink, Wink) so that I can test the product for the non-envelope pushing athlete. It's a free sample so try it for yourself at www.iwantaspark.com and let me know your experience.


No comments: