Friday, January 1, 2010

In the Beginning...

2010 is here and to start the year right I thought I would share a few New Year quotations. I always enjoy reading quotations, famous or not. They motivated me, make me think, and sometimes laugh. Enjoy

We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. ~Benjamin Franklin

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. -Abraham Lincoln

Character is the ability to carry out a good resolution long after the excitement of the moment has passed. -Cavett Robert

Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. ~Oprah Winfrey

Yes I know I used an Oprah quote, but just like my good buddy Ockham used to say, "the simpler one is the better."

Training Plan
I'm using January to build up my running base miles. I'm not focused on speed just getting in the miles. I plan to participate in the Jag Run 5k on January 30. I ran this last year and it was my first ever 5k. My next event would be the Azalea Trail Race on March 30. I also ran this event last year and I hope to improve on my 10k PR (1:10:16).
I have put together a rough training plan for January to get in the base miles and prepare for the 5k. I am using weekly mileage goals and not scheduling daily workouts to allow flexibility.

Week 1 - 2.5 miles 3 to 4 sessions. Total Weekly Miles 7-10
Week 2 2.75 miles 3 to 4 sessions. Total Weekly Miles 8-11
Week 3 3 miles 3 to 4 sessions. Total Weekly Miles 9-12
Week 4 Speed Work, Recovery, Race Total Miles for the month 24-33

January Goals
1. 30 miles in 30 days
2. Sub 30 minute 5k


Stats
Weight: 211lbs of twisted(flabby) steel and sex(less) appeal. I weight 1 pound more than I did at this time last year. I did eat freely during the holidays so I expect the weight to come off fairly easily. I will be using the Livestrong.com Daily Plate app to assist with monitoring my caloric intake


So with that, I welcome 2010. I'm excited about the opportunity to start anew and am anxious for what the year will bring. For those struggling for motivation I've included a favorite "inspirational" video clip.


No comments: