Saturday, December 6, 2008

New Challenges, New Motivation

With Thanksgiving and November behind us, it's time to focus on December goals. First lets recap November's progress:
1. Run/Walk 30 Miles in November.
Incomplete. Complete 24.1 miles with a combination of walks and runs.
2. Complete a one mile run under 12 minutes.
Success. Ran one mile on the McGill track in 10:32.
3. Cycling 60 Miles in November.
Incomplete. Completed 41.4 miles on two rides and 8 miles on the trainer.
4. 15 run/walk workouts.
Success. 15 workouts completed over 11 days.

As Meatloaf said,"Two out of three ain't bad." The cold weather and earlier darkness really hurt my cumulative goals. Tempatures in the 40s kept me off the bike. I am very pleased with the one mile run. That is the furthest distance I have run thus far and I all ready have completed another mile and set a new PB at 10:05.
I took my stress test and the Doctor cleared me medically and suggested I lose 10 lbs. He had to go to medical school if figure that out.
As I start to think about my goals for December I do not want to fall into the trap of re-setting the same goals. I want to change my focus and not get discouraged by incomplete goals. New challenges, new motivation.

December Goals:
1.
Sub 10 minute mile.
2.
RUN 10 miles cumulative during the month.
3. 40 miles cycling during the month.
4. Monitor diet. Lose 5 pounds (Starting weight 201 lbs)

The 10 minute mile is a challenge but attainable as is the cum run and cycle. I plan to use some interval workouts to help with overall fitness. (Both track and cycle)
I normally do not set weight loss as a goal but I have yet to see substantial weight loss from my increase in activity and I want to focus on not just diet but also nutrition. On that note, I am increasing my protein intake to help with recovery as well as meal substitute. Recovered well after last miler.

Cold weather workouts are important to spring and summer fitness. The base I build now will be the structure of the spring and summer.

No comments: